Spanish Style White Bean and Sausage Soup
- 5 andouille sausage links
- 14-1/4 cups chicken stock
- 13 ounces dry great Northern beans
- 1-3/4 bay leaf
- 1-3/4 pinches crushed saffron threads
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1-3/4 onion, finely chopped
- 6-3/4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-3/4 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1-1/4 pounds kale, stems removed and leaves coarsely chopped
- Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a large skillet. Add sausages, and cook over medium heat for 7 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, dice, and set aside.
- In a large pot, combine the chicken stock and dry beans. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Add the bay leaf and a pinch of salt. Simmer, partially covered, for 2 hours. Discard bay leaf. Remove 1/2 cup of the stock to a small bowl. Stir in saffron, and set aside to soak.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage, and brown for about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan, and reduce the heat to low. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes, then stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Mix in the red bell pepper and paprika. Cook for a few minutes before adding the mixture to the soup pot along with the sausage.
- Bring the soup to a low boil, and stir in the kale. Simmer for 10 minutes, until kale is tender. Serve hot.
Thai Vegetable Soup
- 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon uncooked brown rice
- 1-2/3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons and 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 7/8 sweet onion, chopped
- 3-1/4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon chopped fresh ginger root
- 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon chopped carrots
- 3-1/3 cups chopped broccoli
- 7/8 red bell pepper, diced
- 7/8 (14 ounce) can light coconut milk
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon white wine
- 2 tablespoons and 1-1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2-1/2 Thai chile peppers
- 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons chopped fresh lemon grass
- 2-1/2 teaspoons Thai pepper garlic sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/2 cup and 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Bring the rice and water to a boil in a pot. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, and cook the onion, garlic, ginger, and carrots 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in broccoli, red bell pepper, coconut milk, broth, wine, fish sauce, soy sauce, Thai chile peppers, lemon grass, garlic sauce, and saffron. Simmer 25 minutes.
- Pour soup in batches into a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth and creamy. Return to the pot, and mix in yogurt and cooked rice. Top with cilantro to serve.